The digital marketing scope is growing. Companies are bringing their marketing efforts into the digital atmosphere. Demand for digital marketing jobs has increased. Digital marketing jobs involve a lot of creativity, so this job does not require you to stay behind the desk for hours.
Digital marketers need to stay ahead of the trends and the latest technologies to promote brands. But this industry has changed a lot over the years and the demand for certain jobs is different than others. Here we’ll show you some of the most in-demand digital market jobs in 2020.
In-Demand Digital Marketing Skills
Everything today is being oriented towards artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning so it’s no surprise to see that these trends are taking over most industries, including digital marketing. If you’re planning to make a career in digital marketing this year, you need to have certain skills related to the tech industry besides knowing the basics of digital marketing.
- Digital marketing automation: Some activities in digital marketing are repetitive and redundant. Tasks such as tweeting or sending multiple emails can be automated through machine learning and AI tools. Being able to use these digital marketing automation tools is crucial for today’s businesses.
- Inbound marketing and SEO skills: Google’s algorithm is so sophisticated today that a digital marketing team has to stay ahead of the company’s developments. SEO and SEM skills are still a big deal in digital marketing even these days. However, the process is different now as it’s not all about stuffing keywords everywhere. It is more about creating valuable content and link-building.
- Marketing data analysis. Having an analytic mind is important no matter the industry. However, it is particularly important to become a data analyst. Today’s digital marketers need to be able to spot errors, find opportunities and create reports that help analyze marketing performance.
Digital Marketing Job Trends
Now that we know the essential skills in today’s digital marketing, let’s learn about the most in-demand jobs in the industry.
When you have a business or a brand, you need to create a community. There’s no way to build brand engagement if nobody knows your products or services. This is where growth marketers come along. These professionals are the ones that have the skills to grow your audience on different platforms such as Twitter or Facebook.
Growth marketers work in an environment that can be volatile, so predicting uncertainties is part of the job. The goal of growth marketing is simply to create an audience, not to sell. But the whole point of marketing is sales, right? How are we going to build a community that is interested in our products? That’s what growth marketers need to find out. These professionals run tests and conduct research to see what type of ads and content works best on the target audience they’re building.
- Being able to work with digital automation tools.
- AB testing and some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Lead generation.
- Data analytics knowledge.
- SEO skills.
Where to learn these skills:
General Assembly’s immersive digital marketing bootcamp offers advanced education on the latest digital marketing trends. This school will guide you to learn the more up-to-date automation tools and CRM techniques. General Assembly has flexible payment methods—if you don’t have the money to pay upfront you can also defer payment.
Marketing Data Scientist
The data science profession is also booming in the digital marketing industry. You may think it’s not related, but data science is crucial in a digital marketing strategy. Data science allows marketers to spot patterns in the customers’ behavior. This way, digital marketers can act accordingly to create better strategies. Besides, data science also allows the marketing team to forecast trends in their audience to come up with better ideas that work on future trends.
- Mathematical and statistics skills are crucial to work as a data science marketer. There are also machine learning-powered predictive tools that a data scientist must use.
- Since this is a very technical job, sometimes data scientists forget about dealing with people less familiar with the concept. It’s important that these professionals have great communication skills.
Where to learn these skills:
Lambda School’s data science bootcamp is a great option if you’re looking for a job in the marketing industry. This course is very oriented towards statistics trends and how they can be used to generate business insights. Some of the things you’ll learn at this school are to use programming languages like Python and SQL. You’ll also learn how to do data visualization, which is a huge factor in the communication process.
Machine Learning Engineer
Having a personalized user experience is a huge deal in the current marketing landscape in which companies are trying to create customer engagement. Machine learning and sentiment analysis create that experience. Through machine learning, companies can show users the content they’d be interested in. This has created such a huge impact on customers around the world that recent research revealed that 44 percent of them will continue shopping in the same store if they receive a personalized experience. Machine learning engineers have created a more human-like environment for customers.
One of the major aspects that machine learning has changed in digital marketing is the way the customer service operates. Chatbot services are run using machine learning. These bots are a more convenient alternative because they’re available to attend customers’ requests round the clock. These are some of the reasons machine learning professionals are so in-demand these days for digital marketing agencies.
- Top-notch programming skills.
- Fundamental principles of statistics and math.
- Management of machine learning algorithms.
- Software engineering.
Where to learn these skills:
Springboard’s machine learning program is the best for learning the foundations of a digital marketing job. This program is oriented towards creating functional machine learning-driven software. The school requires you to have some experience in software engineering and data science fundamentals to join the bootcamp. Springboard also has a refund guarantee in case you don’t find a job after graduation.
Digital marketing is evolving together with technology, so it will become more and more common to see tech professions in digital marketing agencies, especially in automation. There are many tasks in the digital marketing industry that can be automated; that’s why machine learning and AI are so important in this industry right now. Because of these technologies, digital marketers can focus more on analysis and strategies that generate leads.